As usual when I read about such things I tend to compare it to wiphi, the music player that I built.
It’s interesting to note the amount of work that would have to be done to get Wiphi up to the spec of something that is commercially available.
My player looks attractive initially.
But it’s a bit chunky, and the green VFD display is not very readable.
Ideally it would be half that height and have a blue LCD display.
It would also have a nice responsive dial for controlling the volume.
It could also do with a nice logo.
It doesn’t have a dedicated remote – it’s just configured to use any remote that works with LIRC.
Building a remote control from scratch is beyond my skills.
The overall user interface isn’t too bad, but it’s not slick.
There’s no indication of what is going on until the box has booted (takes a few minutes as it boots over the network).
The only interface is the remote control and the display panel at the front – which is a bit limiting. It needs an on-screen display on the TV ideally.
I wrote the software myself – it’s essentially some “glue code” (written in Java) between MPD, LCDproc and LIRC.
If it goes wrong and crashes the only way to deal with it is to ssh in and look at log files.
It is MPD based though – I could set it up so that I could control it from a Web browser on another machine for example.
There’s no way to configure it beyond hacking XML files and restarting the box. That could be fixed – but would require a Web interface of course.
It would obviously need a lot of work to get it up to speed.
Also, the software work is far more likely to happen than the hardware work.
I’m not really good with hardware stuff, plus I’ve spent enough on kit for it already.
It’s an academic question anyway, I’m unlikey to give up my day job and build music players for a living.